LONDON (UK), 9th November 2023 – A decline in veganism, less trust in the media in the US, and increased interest and concerns around AI are some of the biggest consumer trends to watch, according to GWI’s latest flagship report. Launched today, the annual Connecting the dots report looks at what’s top of consumers’ minds for 2024.
The report represents more than 960,000 consumers aged 16-64 and offers thousands of data points into the behaviors and perceptions of internet users around the world to help customers level up their marketing, product and business strategies. This year’s report features contributions from GWI clients including Meta, Reddit, The Ad Council, Endeavor, COPA90, and IMG.
The six key trends that brands should be aware of in 2024 are:
- Interest in veganism is declining, with some seeking more flexibility around what they eat. There’s been a 29% drop in Europeans identifying as vegan since 2021, and an 11% rise in those saying they’re flexitarian.
- Short-form video is changing sports. Boxing (+16%), MMA (+14%), and wrestling (+12%) fans have seen the biggest YoY jumps in sports highlights engagement on social media.
- Consumer interest in AI is on the rise, but is outpaced by concerns about the technology. In the US, interest in AI has grown 36% year-on-year, while worries have doubled during this time.
- The media’s got an authenticity problem. The number of Americans who don’t trust the media has grown 24% since Q2 2020.
- It’s time to talk to baby boomers. There’s been a 57% rise in baby boomers using TikTok since Q2 2021, and they’re more likely to have bought a product or service online in the last week than Gen Z.
- America’s concern with gun violence is growing. In 2020, gun violence was 6th on Americans’ list of worries – behind healthcare, climate change, and racism. It’s now first.
Jason Mander, Chief Research Officer at GWI, said: “Our flagship report always aims to give brands the insights they need to stay a step ahead. This year’s report offers a view into what’s front of mind for consumers, and what interests, thoughts and feelings are experiencing the biggest shifts. Each trend we’ve identified gets even more interesting when you dig deeper - from the unexpected groups of people we’re seeing with a growing mistrust in the media to AI not only being America’s fastest growing fear, but ahead of more ‘typical’ fears, like the stock market, loss of tradition, or immigration.
“This report can help brands understand the current consumer mindset and uncovers the trends that are set to dominate the year ahead.”
GWI’s latest Connecting the dots report can be accessed here.